Page 16 - Guida_EN
P. 16
USEO
Cartiere Maderno
Valle delle Cartiere Toscolano Maderno
ECOMUSEO
Maderno
Valle delle Cartiere
Toscolano Maderno
Valle delle Cartiere Toscolano Maderno
ECOMUSEO
Valle delle Cartiere
Toscolano Maderno
Valle delle Cartiere Toscolano Maderno
Valle delle Cartiere Toscolano Maderno
EcoMuseo EcoMuseo
EcoMuseo
EcoMuseo
16
were a small paper-mill, and a “gale- te” spinning-machine. The “galete” are silk-bugs cocoons and also an olive- smasher. All these things were proper- ty of the family from Verona. In1894, it became a private residence again. The new owner, a certain general Lamberti from Piemonte, rebuilt the lake front, built the guard-tower and added some Liberty-style decorations. Until 1899, between the lake and the country- house, there was a garden, afterwards expropriated to allow the construction of the actual main road.
Between the end of the 1800s and the 1940s, it was the private residence of Cav. Gian Battista Bianchi, which was owner of the “Serraglio” and also of the palace situated nearby. Cav. Bianchi was Toscolano Maderno’s major when Gabriele D’Annunzio in 1921 came to Garda lake to choose his new residen- ce. Lord Bianchi offered him the pala- ce, but D’Annunzio refused, preferring Villa Cargnacco in Gardone Riviera, which afterwards will be known as “Il Vittoriale”. At the time, we could en- ter Bianchi’s country-house coming from Aquilani street where the guar- dian’s house was situated, too. Face to the lake, where actually we can find “Il Muretto”, there was the “darsena”, that Cav. Bianchi wanted in the 1920s for his motor-boat. That was the only motorized boat in the whole gulf,
It was sold in the 1940s to a public or- ganization, and at the end of 1940, be- cause of a government disposition, its artistic iron-gate was put away. That gate went round the whole property. In1942, the painter Angelo Landi de- corated some of the rooms with some precious pictures still existing today, which narrate Engardina’s legend, who was the dwarfs’ queen. Engardina was kidnapped by the sea-god Neptune
who, diving into Garda- Lake waters, gave her the light-blue color of her long hair.
In October 1943 the Italian Social Re- public fixed there the headquarter of the Fascist Republican Party and the Black Brigades’ command. Quickly abandoned in 1945, the “villa”, after some years, became property of Pi- va’s family that transformed it in a ho- tel “Palace” after “Golfo Hotel”.
The “Bella Italia” monument
Near Bianchi’s country-house, we can find the monument named “Bella Ita- lia”(5), It was inaugurated in 1909,in me- mory of the statist and prime-minister Giuseppe Zanardelli, who had been ow- ning for years a country-house in Borni- co, not far from Maderno, where he died on the 26th December 1903. It has been
Every Tuesday, in Maderno’s square, there was an open-air market together with the other one, which took place in Salò. In 1456 it was replaced right there and in 1795 it was re-established in Maderno, to be finally abolished in 1839.
5


































































































   14   15   16   17   18