Page 15 - Guida_EN
P. 15
Maderno
EcoMuseo
EcoMuseo
Valle delle Cartiere Toscolano Maderno
ECOMUSEO
EcoMuseo Valle delle Cartiere
EcoMuseo Valle delle Cartiere
Valle delle Cartiere Toscolano Maderno
Valle delle Cartiere Toscolano Maderno
Toscolano Maderno
Toscolano Maderno
Toscolano Maderno
Toscolano Maderno
EcoMuseo Valle delle Cartiere
Valle delle Cartiere
Toscolano Maderno
Valle delle Cartiere Toscolano Maderno
EcoMuseo Valle delle Cartiere
Toscolano Maderno
Toscolano Maderno
ECOMUSEO
Valle delle Cartiere Toscolano Maderno
EcoMuseo Valle delle Cartiere
EcoMuseo Valle delle Cartiere
Valle delle Cartiere Toscolano Maderno
Valle delle Cartiere Toscolano Maderno
ECOMUSEO
Valle delle Cartiere
Toscolano Maderno
the houses and gardens of the most im- portant Maderno’s families of the time leaned out on this street. Still today it is named “via del siòr”(1) (slang language). Our itinerary goes on along the main modern traffic road, which skirts the lake. Now we are leaving Aquilani stre- et, walking on the footbridge that runs near the lake. In the tract between “Gol- fo Hotel” and “Il Muretto” restaurant, we can find a little brick-made building with some stone-stairs which dive directly into the water. That building is a lavato- ry (2), constructed at the end of the 19th century, and it was used by the “Park Hotel”, situated right behind it. It was
2
one of the first-built and most important hotels, not only for Maderno, but also for the whole “Riviera” Inside the lavato- ry, there was a wood-cooper, on which a big copper-cauldron was put. All the hotel’s underwear was washed-up in it. Originally, between the hotel and the lavatory, there was a garden that had been finally expropriated in 1899 for the realization of the actual main road. The huge stones that were put to the lavato- ry’s basement towards the lake, accor- ding to local tradition, were part of ano- ther structure erected by the Romans to protect the “lemons’-gardens terraces”
Golfo Hotel- ex Bianchi’s country- house
As we go on skirting the lake in Ma- derno, just before the square, we can notice the sumptuous building of Gol- fo Hotel (3-4), which in the 1700s was
The road that joins Fasano to Maderno has always been known with the name of “Ruinà” (This means “ruined” in the local slang lan- guage); that was because that zone was often subjected to landslides The ancient mule-track which in that zone descends from Maclino is called Proch (derived from the German word “gebrochen”, meaning “ruined,broken” ). On the 7th April 1958 a big hill-fragment slowly deta- ched from the hill itself, invading the road below, and finally it dived directly into the lake. Luckily, there were no deaths, but Toscolano Maderno and the other “North-Riviera” villages remained isolated for weeks. Part of the eroded material splashed into the lake and part was brought to the beach towards Maderno, and so that beach was definitely erased. The new conformation of the provincial road (already royal road in that case, too), dates back to 1899. The actual main road, known as “The Gardesana”, dates back to 1932.
owned by the noble family of Lords Bettoni from Bogliaco. It has got a long history, rich of cultural appeal. In the 19th century, inside it, there
3
EcoMuseo EcoMuseo
EcoMuseo
EcoMuseo
4
15


































































































   13   14   15   16   17