Page 11 - Guida_EN
P. 11
Toscolano Maderno
Toscolano Maderno’s town-hall reunites two smaller villages, Toscolano and Maderno, which until 1928 were two separated town-halls. Two different communities, with its peculiar traditions and cultures; that fact sometimes brought to open contrast. The local economy in the last centuries was based, besides paper production, also on agriculture, particularly on the cultivation of lemons and olive-tree. In the 1800s, Toscolano and Maderno were classified 2nd place for lemons’ cultivation, after Gargnano and before Limone. Today, the only cultivation remaining is that of olive-tree; that of lemon-tree has been completely given up. It seems that lemons’ cultivation already started back in the XIV century. A Venetian, named Marin Sanuto, passing by Maderno in 1483, wrote: “There are a lot of citron gardens in here and also a lot of orange-trees and infinite apple-trees”.
Silvan Cattaneo in 1550, described Maderno as a place full of “very beautiful houses with gardens filled with citron-trees, orange trees and lemon trees, watered by lots of fountains”. The perception that an ancient-time traveller could receive in crossing Maderno and Toscolano must be very different from that of today, which is mostly tourism and city- oriented.
The two little villages placed themselves in a typically agrarian landscape which was predominant, with its lemon fields, olive-grove, gardens, kitchen-gardens, cultivated fields and also green areas. At the time, there was only one street that was narrow and almost not useful for ancient coaches; that street in fact, united them, passing among other smaller streets and gardens, which were closed by high stone-walls,and the Toscolano valley, with its paper- mills, constituted the only common point for two town-hall entities that otherwise proved to be well separated and delineated.

   9   10   11   12   13